Andy has court tomorrow. He is going to court AGAIN for driving with a cancelled license. He was not drinking. He was simply doing his mom a favor by driving his teenaged sister home as she had school in the morning. He did not qualify for a public defender and being as far behind on some bills as we are he couldn't really afford one either. The cheapest lawyer we could find was $750 just to start looking at his case. I don't know if we were wrong to think this way but we figured the judge would find him guilty with or without a lawyer so what's the point of shelling out that much just for some guy to stand by him while he's being sentenced? I'm hoping (knock on wood, fingers crossed) that the judge will just be lenient with the sentencing. Like perhaps grant house arrest or something like that. His same judge granted house arrest for another gentleman that had just been found guilty for his third DUI so we are hopeful about that. It's just that I know that Cass County lets single mothers do house arrest so I'm thinking that if Andy explains our situation that they should find it similar.
Anyhoo, I didn't really even mean to mention any of that. I guess I just needed to get that off my chest. THIS is what I wanted to talk about : Handicap Accessible doors!! I think it should be a Minnesota state law, if not Federal law that all places of business install electric door switches. I have worked very hard to become, for the most part, independent. I am proud of myself for getting my driver's license at the age of 17 with no major accidents on my driving record. I am proud to say that I drive my car with no adaptation whatsoever.
I am a 24-year-old female. I am a mom. I love to shop, I love to go to salons, and I like to go out to fancy shmancy restaurants. I even like to go out to the bar once in awhile. I am a your normal mass advertisement focused girl. I also use a walker for my Cerebral Palsy. It kind of hinders my independent image when I go out all dressed up and in shop-mode, but then you see me struggling with a door that could easily be fixed by a little electric switch. I know that many private owned businesses probably wouldn't fall under these laws, but don't they want my business too?? This really kind of has me motivaed to get my voice out there. I'm going to go look up how to get a law passed.
PS I also think it would be wise and NICE if places included more than one handicap stall in their restrooms. I know that places like Walmart and Target could afford it. I hate standing in the restrooms waiting for that ONE stall to become unoccupied while 5-6 people just walk into their little non-accessible stalls and walk back out before I have even got to use the one designated for me. Oh yeah, and 90% of the time it is not even a disabled person that comes out of it!
Until next time...
Getting Ready for Kindergarten!
13 years ago
2 comments:
Get something started. You will have to look up the laws, I think Minnesota is actually pretty good compared with other states. There are federal laws and state laws. You could start a non-profit and raise money to help other businesses make things more accessible!!
I love the way you think, Leila! Don't get discouraged - you can be the next Erin Brockovich. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Post a Comment